Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Making a plug

I'm well on the way to building and completing a new plug for a new model sea kayak.
Building a plug can be hours sanding and filling , getting it right.The floor of my shed was a dust bowl at the end of the day today

You can build a plug a few different ways and I wont lament on the varied ways but I chose to cut and paste into an existing kayak but the down side of that is ALL the sanding I have had to do ,its been incredible how much dust I have created but to get it perfect it has to be done,what ever way you choose to build your plug it will involve sanding somewhere along the way

Just to get the new stern right on the plug took over 14 hours of sanding and sanding and then spraying with a filler,then sanding again to make sure its 100% even, as any bumps will come out in the mould and will show impurities and a slack job

You can run your hand up along a boat and you shouldn't find any lumps as these are great places for air entrapment when you build so flatter the better

I'll keep you posted on the new model and am looking at finishing the plug this week

From a manufacturers perspective it very interesting and exciting when you get a sea kayak ready for production and the market

Lots happening here at NKA at the moment keep your eyes out for the new model  

    No comments: